Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Jeffrey Archer's New One Is A Rehash of Many Before It.

Only Time Will TellOnly Time Will Tell by Jeffrey Archer

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


How many books have been written about the bastard son of a bastardly rich man? His mother is a poor woman alone. He faces all kinds of travails but in the end succeeds. Falls in love with his half-sister, unwittingly, of course,and fortuitously, a War is on the horizon so he can go off and leave it all behind. Except for the War and his assumption of a new identity in a new country all of the above facts are known within the first ten pages. Not a badly written book, innocuous, shop worn though its plot. Harmless, easy, if predictable read which, on its last page, throws in the hook that will allow for what I imagine will be a predictable sequel.



I almost didn't finish reading once I realized that I'd figured out the basic premise but several others advised me to continue because there would be interesting revelations and developments. Nope, turned out just as I expected.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. KT;
    Enjoyed your review.
    I've found Archer's writing to be dry but do enjoy his stories on tape.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided a long time ago that Mr. Archer writes the very same book over and over. A number of authors do that and sometimes I don't mind, but it does dull the edge of the stories.

    ReplyDelete