Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Sunday, October 6, 2019

A New Take on Jane Austen--The Jane Austen Society

The Jane Austen SocietyThe Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Delightful just like Austen's books. The beginning of the book takes awhile to get going and almost caused me to toss it aside. Each of the characters were introduced at length and their love of Austen and its origins revealed but, though several of them lived in the same small village and knew each other the idea of a cohesive society wasn't evident. Thinking the story would continue in this disjointed vein made the book less than inviting. Still, I stuck with it, fascinated by the dissection of characters these readers made of Austen's creations. Having read several of them and seen innumerable movie or TV interpretations, I'd never thought that deeply about the individuals. Some of the men and women I liked and others, did not, but didn't linger with deep contemplation as to why. To do so or reread the books never occurred to me.
Yet, this book makes me think I might for the author not only has her characters do that but also in telling the story of the Jane Austen Society and its original eight members she shows the villagers and two outsiders not only love Austen and her people but actually in their own lives aren't too different from them. In describing the Austen characters loved or disliked by these folks, she shows their personalites and characteristics as well. An intriguing approach. Perhaps I should seek out an Austen Society and see if that correlation holds true in real life?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment