Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Sunday, January 23, 2022

The Cruelest Month--I think it is March but others say it's April

The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This series just gets better and better. The Arnot case is now clear and the pressure being exerted on Gamache from his superiors is more understandable. But, Armand is a man of principle and he is able to take the betrayal and pressure in stride though not without pain. The agent sent to spy on him is revealed and dealt with and the murderer is revealed. What makes these books so interesting to me is the fact that I lived in the area in which they are set and Montreal was just a stone's throw away--not unusual to pop up to Ogilvy's or the Bay or out to dinner or to grab Chinese in St Jean sur Richeleau. The gatherings in the Bistro or at one of the resident's homes for holiday meals, with the conversations ranging from art, to music, to cooking and the wonderful Quebecois French are all so familiar. The food served at Thanksgiving, Christmas and now Easter so well described that I can smell and taste them. The different seasons, the landscape all add richness to the stories of murder is this idyllic village--described as peaceful,loving and comfortable and yet each major holiday has brought the Chief Inspector back to investigate a murder!! And in this one, my favorite tree, the ginkgo plays a major rote. I'm beginning to think I must have known Ms Penny when I resided there. Which of the many friends who gathered with me was she?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment