Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Disappointing Novel from Erica Jong's Daughter

The Social Climber's Handbook: A NovelThe Social Climber's Handbook: A Novel by Molly Jong-Fast

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Only the second of nine goodreads giveaways that I didn't like though I finished this one, hoping it would improve.



Never laughed, never chuckled, never even smiled. Nothing about this book was even slightly humorous despite the cover quotes "irresistable"--I trudged through it. " razor-sharp "--dull and boring, like the characters within it. " Blissfully entertaining "-- Not in the slightest. " fast, funny and smart "--took forever to get through it; see the first sentence; well, I DO understand the financial manipulations that caused the recent crash better than ever.



Not one of the people in this novel have any likeable characteristics--they are greedy,self-absorbed, boring people. If the book were about vampires, ghosts, aliens I could have liked it better for I would have said this is fiction and they aren't real. Well, unfortunately, these people are real--oh, not identified specifically, but everyone of them exists including Daisy,who in real life doesn't actually kill others, that is, deprive them of life, but she deprives them of living which is much the same. She sucks the animation and joy from those who she sees as a threat.



A horrible book about horrible people being passed off as hilarious fiction---I wonder, is it a case of laughing at oneself and one's own intimate circle? A sort of inside joke--which will make it all okay and make the lifestyle meaningful?



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment