Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Worth Reading Another Installment--Darling Dahlias and the Naked Ladies

The Darling Dahlias and the Naked LadiesThe Darling Dahlias and the Naked Ladies by Susan Wittig Albert
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Second installment of this cozy mystery set in 1930's rural Alabama. Wasn't crazy about the first book in the series but glad to have given the second a try. Having set the stage in the Cucumber Tree outing, Albert more highly developed the characters in this one. And they are a delight--with all sorts of problems associated with the Depression and its financial hardships, a brush with a Capone operative in several laugh out loud scenes, and a bit of big city sophistication with a couple of risqué dancers hiding out in Darling, the home of the Dahlias and their Garden Club.
After the first book, I wasn't sure this would be a series I'd follow. After this one, I can't wait to read the next and find out what's new at Beulah's Bower and the Darling Diner and Telephone Exchange with its party lines buzzing.
There continues to be the horticultural slant for which Albert became famous in her China Bayles series but where China is mostly interested in herbs, the Dahlias are floral types with a bit of vegetable gardening thrown in--it IS the Depression after all. Included are recipes common to the time as well as a wonderful group of housekeeping tips making use of homemade cleansing agents. Washing soda! Haven't thought of that since I was a kid--linseed oil, cream of tartar and castile soap--sure takes me back. But, I still use white and cider vinegar more often for chores than for eating.
And the description of the canning pressure cooker and supplies--all of that is still downstairs in my cellar--handed down by mother and mother in law. Yes, times were tough, but the tough got going and I'm enjoying the memories, if not the work.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment