Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Day 1 on the San Juan Islands

Good Afternoon from Friday Harbor Suites on Spring St in Friday Harbor. Well, after a lovely sunset, again, in Mt Vernon we woke to the promise of a beautiful day. So after making sure the desk would call me at 6 so I wouldn't oversleep, I rolled back over for another 40 minutes of sleep. Dressed and had breakfast and headed over to Anacortes and the ferry terminal to catch the 9:05 to Friday Harbor. The ground fog made the ride a bit eerie but the sky looked promising with patches of blue here and there. Huge flocks of little black birds were lined up along the power lines all the way. It was as though they weren't ready to get moving yet. I often wonder why they flock out in the open that way when there are all sorts of trees available to keep them from the wind and rain--but then again, if the predator can't fly, he can't climb up to the wires so I guess it is safer. We are always amazed at the number of cars that fit on these ferries. Not sure how many car decks there are but we were on the upper side deck which is nice since you can see out but also there is only one flight of stairs to climb to the main deck and the outside deck and seats along big picture, not very clean windows. We rode the stern this time--last time we walked forward and will on the way back. In place of bench seats with a table we sat in individual seats much like in an airport waiting area. Very comfy and despite the huge number of people--bikers, walkers, motorcyclists and drivers like us, it was neither crowded nor noisy. I couldn't help but notice the girls' soccer team in the seats across from us--it is universal and timeless--giggles, braiding each others hair etc. When I walked over to pick up a San Juan Island Map I stopped and asked where the line formed, since I wanted my hair braided, too. I was rewarded by loud laughter when I declared I was next. It was also fun to see the sea birds catching rides on any flotsam and jetsam in the water. Within an hour, it seemed so much longer the first time, we arrived at busy Friday Harbor with its huge boats--both sail and motor powered. Tour boats of all sorts and private yachts in organized profusion. We drove up through the traffic and pedestrians on Spring St and located the Friday Harbor Suites and booked a room for two nights. A ROOM?? It is a two bedroom apartment with full kitchen and bath, a private patio. We wasted no time --didn't even bring in our baggage--just took off to explore. Having been here before the map was easier to follow and we ran the roads like natives. Headed out to the English Camp to refresh ourselves about the feud over a murdered pig. Wondered if they negotiated over roast pork dinner and just how long it took to study the problem. Today it would be months. Went to our favorite LLama farm and chatted with the owner, who gave us important navigation info for our Olympia Peninsula travels when we leave the Islands. Drove out to Roche Harbor and walked around the sculpture gardens. Some sculptures more appealing than others, most outrageously priced. Someone told me once that if you don't put a high price on your work the buyer doesn't consider it real art. Well, that may be, but I don't think I'm the buyer these artists are trying to reach. I kissed the toad several times--really liked him. Among the four rejects I sort of liked the totem and , once they gave me a title, I could envision the bathing cat. The other two I would have rejected as well--I have such an eye for art--lol I liked the fact that each of the areas had a portal through which you entered and some of them were stunning. Winged Victory if you look closely is what is left after target practice. I'm sure there is a message there but it went over my head. Of course, in Montana I saw an add for renting machine guns and automatic rifles! As we came around the bend on the Bay Path and a rise before us, a mammal's head lifted and for some reason I thought it was a llama. I was stopped and signaled Barb to stop. The head came up farther and I saw the ears and knew it was a deer. It stopped and sniffed and then, ears back, beat tracks over the bridge and out into the field of tall grass. By the time we crested the hill, it was clear across the field from us. We sat for a few minutes on the curvy bench and I took a selfie--I usually can't aim the camera well but it was pretty good this time. I hate the fact that I'm getting chicken neck now that I'm losing weight but what the heck--maybe I need me some Barbara Bush pearls. While sitting there a couple approached from the right and lo and behold it was Liz and her husband. She was one of the ladies Barb met at Arby's the night before -- they, too, stayed at the motel in Mt Vernon and came over on the same ferry as we. They were going back on the 10 pm and then three hours home to someplace on the Oregon border. He used to come to the Islands as a boy to a farm on which they rabbit hunted. When the man died, his wife wouldn't let them hunt there anymore. We continued walking around the pond with them. They headed to their truck and we went across the field to other sculptures. But no before we discussed the title of the sculpture called Lion and costing $65,000. I guess I can see a bit of a feline nose and mouth and little beard but for the price, I want a bit more realism. On the other hand I liked the horse for $10,000 and Spoonsful, which is counterbalanced perfectly so it rocks gently, is appealing. The pinwheel which both revolves and rotates and has additional moving parts is mesmerizing and colorful and whimsical. I love the alligator and would love to have a place of solitude, as does my fellow author ,in which to write. After a nice bit of exercise it was off down the other side of the Island. I tried to get a shot of a field filled with Canada geese but bushes got in the way and upon analysis on the computer I found three and a half deer I hadn't noticed at all--lol We stopped at the San Juan winery but when they have bottles of Red, we decided to wait for California for wine. Next stop,Pelindaba Lavendar. Pelindaba is a Zulu word for large gathering place and they sure have many varieties of lavender to gather. I order their massage oil and other products online but I wanted a gallon of Hydrosol, which is water from the distillation process that still has a bit of oil left in it. I use it in both bathrooms and the kitchen to wipe the counters etc and wash fruit and even when my face feels oily wipe it over with a cotton square. I just love it and they charge shipping for a gallon. Of course, I also bought some hand cream, lip gloss, lavender and red tea, and something else that I can't remember. Had that sent home--free shipping. Ate a big lavender ice cream sandwich made with two huge chocolate cookies. Today was not a WW day but I did a lot of walking so hopefully, it balanced out somewhat. By now, it was 4 PM so we went back to our apartment, unloaded our luggage, balanced our checkbooks and decided to spend another day, because rain was predicted for today and it is raining. Then we had dinner at the Mexican restaurant right in the hotel--actually four doors down from our room. I had pork carnitas without tortilla and ate just a bit of the rice and beans but all the pico de gallo and most of the guac. Barb had steak frijitas with corn tortillas. I had a light beer and she a margarita. Brought a to go box back to the room for tonight's dinner. Ashley was our waiter--a slight, handsome young man who grew up on the Island but is moving to Boise to take care of his grandmother. He went there all through his childhood and likes it there, too, so not heartbroken to leave the Island which he loves. He was such a delight. . Today, as I've said it is raining so we will take the shuttle downtown and walk around the Harbor. Perhaps have a early dinner there and hit the Whale museum. The plan is to ferry over to Orcas Island tomorrow and spend the night here before heading back to Anacortes and head south. So, now, you are all caught up--it is noon here. I'm going to change and we'll be off. Will be in touch soon. Take care, BarbZig and KatZag

No comments:

Post a Comment