Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

The Chamber by john Grisham

The ChamberThe Chamber by John Grisham
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A second reading of this book--still incredibly long--still chilling and thought provoking. Still in favor of the death penalty in certain cases. If I knew all of them would remain on death row never knowing if and when they'd die, I'd be content. Or, if those who got life without parole were locked up in a cell with conditions like that described at Parchman maybe I'd be content. But, since neither of these are the actuality then death is fine with fewer conditions with which to appeal. Their victims are dead or severely traumatized, they don't deserve to continue living

Here the grandson who is his lawyer, wants his grandfather, a former Klansman to receive clemancy because he's old ( 70 is old?), because he's been on death row of 9 1/2 years and because his murders occurred over 20 years earlier. Right, those little boys, toddlers might have lived and become lawyers themselves, but they never had the chance. The ending was perfect. And perhaps God did forgive him.

I can understand why none of the families he harmed would. I'm not sure how his daughter or his grandchildren could or his brother. I guess they did but all of them suffer still at the end of this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment