Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Thursday, April 23, 2020

The Holy City Murders--Vatican's Relics during the 30's

The Holy City Murders (Duke Dempsey Mystery)The Holy City Murders by Ron Plante Jr.
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The premise of the book was very interesting and Duke and his partner, Jimmy as well as the young officer, Wally were all very well written and relatable. The preachy paragraph toward the end when Duke is sharing his thoughts of the danger posed to the world by Hitler was a bit overdone. The assassin was a poorly written character--more cartoonish than he should have been. I found the style very off-putting though I think it was an attempt to copy the style of writers from the 30's. But my most difficult character to deal with was Sister Addie. As a girl born in '42 and raised with nuns there is no way at that time that a Catholic nun would have been out alone at any time of day, she would NEVER have gone into a bar alone or otherwise and certainly would not have been off to all these places at all times of the day and night with MEN!! Her role was no surprise to me as a result of these impossible situations. Since this is an ARC I assume the misspellings, mixed syntax and other errors would be corrected prior to publication. Think this is a good first draft but needs work on characterization and style. Plot is intriguing.

I received an advanced review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment