Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Friday, September 23, 2022

Review: The Puma Years

The Puma YearsThe Puma Years by Laura Coleman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book could have been shortened and, in my opinion, for the better if the endless description of filth, insects, heat, terrible food etc had been cut at least in half. While the rescue of animals too big and wild to have ever been considered for domestication as pets is a worth while endeavor, it would seem as though the place in which it happens could be more cleanly and the volunteers would not also have the pet/owner mind-set. Guess one can't help but become attached to these beautiful creatures but somehow I just kept feeling they lost one owner to become the pet of others. There can be no doubt that these kids cared for these confused creatures but I'm not sure they were particularly trained to be doing the work they were doing. Most seemed to have rather pampered backgrounds and connections back home to return to stable and fulfilling careers. Some, obviously, did not fit into the society from which they came and this sojourn as do-gooder in the Amazon rainforest gave them an escape from the real world--none more than the author who seems unable to make meaningful bonds with fellow humans on an emotional level. I actually felt she was quite shallow and lost patience with her early on. Were it not for the story of the cats, in particular, Wyrah, I probably would never have bothered to finish the book. I'm glad I did and am grateful for the photos and drawings of some of the animals with whom the book made me somewhat familiar.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment