Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Friday, January 19, 2024

Review: Stay Hidden

Stay Hidden (Mike Bowditch, #9)Stay Hidden by Paul Doiron
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

These books keep bringing me back not so much because of the mystery that Mike finds himself investigating but because of the settings in which he finds himself. Living in Vermont with many stays all over NH and Maine, I find myself recognizing the people, the places , the attitudes. In this installment Mike is on an island off the coast of Bangor. The two days of constant fog is so well described I could smell the air, feel the damp coldness and suffer the almost claustrophic eerieness of the lack of visibility and the distortion of sounds and direction. And, oh, the attitudes--Mike is a native born maniac but on the Island he is an outsider--not to be trusted, not to be included. My husband is a 7th generation Vermonter but when we moved to mid-Vermont from the Canadian borderlands the locals took a long time to accept him as " not away " and the men in the local grocery store only acknowledged me if I was with him, never alone, and i was for years, Bill's wife. Yup, New England and its people are surely like the people in Doiron's books. Very relateable.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment