Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

California at Last and Adventures in Sacramento

Hello ZZ's, By now I imagine you've looked at the pictures of the fire devastation and the volcanic formation of new landscapes and the fog and low ceiling of our departure from Oregon and arrival in California. It was interesting to note that the traffic lights in Ashland, Oregon have a light dedicated to the bicyclists among them. They should have that everywhere and there should be tickets issued to them as well as drivers who violate the lights or the pedestrians who do. It is just as well that there was the fog and rain to shield me from the views of the incredible drop offs in the Cascades in Northern California. Happily, though it was not a picnic for Barb to drive in the ceiling lifted enough in several passes that at least she could see the road and the almost hairpin turns that it took getting us to the Sacramento Valley which the map indicated we would travel through to Sacramento--not before Redding we didn't. When we approached Mt Shasta it was not visible through the fog and mist. I happened to glance out the back passenger window behind Barb and saw it--snow covered, partially exposed, gigantic obviously missing its top. She could not see it and the road had been reduced to two lanes, one going each way, due to the ever- present road construction. A few minutes later she told me to look in the mirror to see the huge rainbow--it wasn't very visible to me. She said in a voice crossed between irritation and disappointment--well, I guess its a sight I won't see--and I said, well, I won't see the rainbow either. I was looking to see if there was anyway to get off and get back on the Interstate to go back. Finally, about 5 miles later we came to a town with three exits--I had her get off at the first and sure enough we could get right back on. So we returned to Shasta City and I saw the huge rainbow on the way back and in Shasta City the lady at the gas station told us to go to the parking lot near the Ace Hardware store and we'd be able to see Shasta. Just magnificent. Well, worth the time to go back. AND, easy access to I-5 south where we returned to continue our way to Redding for the night. When we entered California we passed through the burned out forest consumed by the Klamath fire of the summer. The extent of the fire was unbelieveable. Still lots of fire trucks and crews around and the smell of burned wood in the air. We also had to stop at an agricultural inspection station when entering California--our three oranges, one banana and one apple were deemed safe to enter. Many of the Western states had ag inspection but Ca is the only one I've encountered in our travels. Quite understandable considering the ag economy here. And the monoculture--one diseased plant and miles of acreage would be destroyed in no time. After Shasta at least the weather relented and we had sunshine more or less all the way to Redding and the mountains began to recede East, West and North of us. Got into town by 130 so took ourselves to the Laundromat to do the two weeks of accumulated dirty clothes. Tired we ate in--I had hummus and carrots with a v-8. Barb went to Pizza Hut and got a personal pan pizza and large salad. We shared the salad. Watched TV and went to bed. Also at Redding was the huge Carr fire that made national news in August, so we really had the smells of burning forest and the sight of smoke in the smoldering pockets that were still afire. The next day was sunny, bright and the land was finally flat!!! Passed miles and miles of olive trees and fields of rice being harvested. Crossed the Sacramento River and entered the city on J Street. Followed it to Dolores Way and Cindy and John's abode. Spent the afternoon chatting and catching up in the lovely back yard. Made friends with Bobette ( a Shadow look-alike ) and Bunny who is just such a lady. Friendly and curious cats, whom even Barb, not a cat lover, found enchanting. Cindy did not tell me before we arrived, since she didn't want me to get a motel , that the guest room we stayed in 18 years ago has been converted to a small den without bed. She and John rented a suite for us at the Marriott for three nights!!!! In addition, when we checked in, the desk clerk, I think believing that all four of us were staying, upgraded us to the largest suite!!!! I absolutely did not want CandJ to pay for this but they insisted--as they have for every meal--Barb and I have tried to get the check, demanded we be allowed to treat them and they will not hear of it. We have finally demurred and have graciously accepted and thanked them for their incredible hospitality and generosity. Having traveled that day, we checked in and had dinner at the in-house bistro. I had a nice roasted chicken breast with broccolini and lemon dressed arugula. Barb had the bacon cheeseburger. We both drank a black cherry old fashioned--Maker's Mark bourbon, demerara syrup, cherry bitters, topped with a Bordeaux cherry--delicious but potent. One is plenty. The next morning Cindy and John came by and we had breakfast at the Bistro--it was passable but we only have done it once. Then off we went to Blue Diamond Almonds--the plant is huge!--went to the gift store and picked up some uniquely flavored almonds and almond brittle which I devoured that night and some Post cards. Then off to the Railroad Museum--such fun--all these original locomotives and the history of the transcontinental railroad. We walked through a Pullman sleeper and when I told the porter that I'd never be able to sleep in one of the upper berths with the curtains snapped he told me that for a bit more money I could have the private sleeper with its own restroom--yup, if I could have afforded it. We also went through the dining car in which some of the most gorgeous dishes were on display from many different rail lines and different periods of time. Elegance for sure. The dining car porter rang the chimes for the various seatings for us and told us of several of the sets--such as the lovely Tiffany setting for Great Northern Rail. While John went to get the car, Barb and Cindy played with their phones while I ran around taking pictures of Old Sac. Then off we went to see Roger Brown, whom I haven't seen in I don't know how many years. I came out and stayed with them in 1978--I don't think I've seen him since then. Had a lovely afternoon visit with great chicken wraps he'd gotten from a local deli and cold mango juice. All of us with our various collections of pix to share and stories to help us play catch-up. How is it that you can fall right back into warmth and closeness with someone even after many years apart? But it was like we'd never been out of touch. We are friends on FB now---lol Soon afterwards the four of us went to Zinfandel Grill for dinner and I had a wonderful Asian chicken salad and merlot, I think. Barb had a mushroom salad and Z burger as did John--the Z burger. What did Cindy have--not sure. LOL Brought home part of my salad. Home exhausted but really happy. Cindy had said she wished we didn't have to leave so soon. As we passed the Bistro, Barb suggested a nightcap--so she bought me a glass of wine and herself another Old Fashioned. She decided to extend our visit another night as a birthday gift to me. Wasn't sure if we should but having such a wonderful time, I agreed. On Tuesday, Cindy and John picked us up and we had breakfast at Denny's --a big improvement over the food and service at the Bistro. Then off we went to Apple Valley and wineries!!!!!!! At Boeger's Barb and Cindy each did the $20 Reserve wine tasting--I did the $5 tasting and didn't get a glass--lol Plus I got to taste their wines, too! Didn't taste them all because some didn't interest me. Still, I tasted three whites and three reds of my own plus several of theirs. The lady who waited on us was so nice--she had spent time in Stowe and ate at some fancy restaurant on the Burlington waterfront--Hen something or other. I don't do Burlington anymore so meant nothing to me. She also went to a camp in Craftsbury because she is a rower. Anyway, her husband is a retired pilot and she was quite conversant about travel and food and definitely wine but not at all pompous and we enjoyed her immensely. Said if we ever met again in Burlington we'd do lunch at the Hen place--told her I'd be more likely to see her in the Craftsbury--Hardwicke area--lol Bought some wine there--don't ask what I can't remember. Then it was off to Lava Cap--met a couple there from San Francisco--natives--grew up there and were bemoaning how it has changed. Fisherman's wharf really used to be filled with fishermen--not boutiques, fancy dancy restaurants etc. They told me to ask Kevin Brady to do his glass roll for me. Okay, I did. Kevin takes the glass about a quarter full of wine and rolls it on its side along the bar--it aerates the wine and does change its nose and taste --but the impressive part is the wine comes right to the brim of the glass and he doesn't spill a drop. Neat man--chatted so much we were there for ages, all the while sipping numerous wines and, of course, buying some. It was my favorite winery of the day--primarily because I loved every wine I tasted and would have bought them all if I could have. Spent more on a bottle of wine than I think I ever have but it is really good. Neat sleeping cat at Lava, Stopped at an apple stand, too but heck, we were into wine, baby. So, John, ever patient and good natured, rounded up the carriage and chauffeured us to the next winery. Madrona, named after those lovely trees we saw in the San Juans and now in the garden here. We weren't really impressed with many of the wines here, but they do have a lovely port which is light with a slight sweetness and a peach tinged aperitif called Fiore that chilled is really very nice. So picked up a couple of bottles of it and a port. Enjoyed meeting the canine greeter, Sprocket. He insisted I allow him out where he made himself comfortable in a shallow pit he dug for himself under a picnic table. He sprawled his full length and went to sleep. We, too, decided we had enough wine and John returned us to our digs for a rest. Cindy and John then picked us up around six for dinner at Matteo's--outdoors under the trees with a nice breeze and candles. I had a pizza--and Merlot and raspberry cheesecake and coffee. John had shrimp and mango salad that looked devine. Cindy had mussels and Barb had a steak. So delicious. I ate all but two pieces of my pizza. I'm amazed my clothes haven't gotten too tight on me--Cindy and John are spoiling us so much. But the days just fly and we talk non-stop and laugh and are just having such an incredibly good time. Today, we had breakfast at Pancake Circus. I had a pecan waffle--I can't remember the last time I've had a waffle and this one was delicious. Then we headed up to Fairfield and the Jelly Belly factory. I texted Bets at noon to ask what kind she likes and she answered by 12:01---lolol After ohhing and ahhing over all the selections we all got ourselves jelly bellies of all kinds. Then, knowing that tomorrow we are hitting the road once more, we came back to the hotel to rest. John is picking up at 630 for dinner and then, it will be back to pack and get ready to leave tomorrow. Tonight is a Italian-Czech restaurant. Should be interesting. It will be so sad to leave--the weather, the company, the food, the wine, the room --such a perfect four days. Bill just called and I regaled him with our doings and told him we have to find a way to meet up with Cindy and John this winter. It is so sad we live so far apart and never see each other--we were so close when she was in Vt --it is hard to believe she's been out here over 40years! Well, that's what's been happening the past few days. I'll post pix from today soon. Tomorrow we head to Bakersfield with a stop in Fresno to see the Forestiere Underground Gardens. I saw them back in the 70's but they were closed in 2000 when Barb and I came through. Hopefully, we'll get to see them this time. They are unique and interesting. So, until next time, so long from BarbZig and KatZag

No comments:

Post a Comment