Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

My Birthday, Glorious Sunrise on the Mississippi and Serenity Riding the Trace

Hello All Z's! Yesterday was, as predicted, an easy day. We only went 166.3 miles but had a beautiful day. It began by following the directions provided by our Alexandria desk clerk, a retired Navy enlisted man. Don't know what he did in the Navy but, let me tell you, he gives detailed, accurate directions and we had not a bit of problem navigating through a fairly large, unfamiliar town to La 1 which led us through small towns directly to New Roads, La. As we were loading our heavy bags into the back a young man asked if we needed any help--we hesitated but a moment before saying yes, please. He was built like a football lineman and he hefted those bags as though they were feathers and was off. Who says chivalry is dead? What a dear man. This part of Louisiana is also French--many creoles along the Southern Mississippi would come to this part of the State during the hot summers. They either had family here or they were affluent enough to afford a second home in the " cooler " north. As a result the farmland here is planted at right angles to the road, in the French fashion and the area reminds me very much of the farmland north of Vermont on the way to Montreal. This is the land of big rivers that tend to flood and so the bridges rise like mountains up and over them--here the bridge crosses the Atchafalaya River. We take off from the levee on our side, rise up over the navigable river and land on the levee on the other side. I don't mind these bridges too much, as a rule, because though high they are usually short. Beyond the far levee stretched fields and fields of cane. How I'd love to be here for the harvest--I'd like to see the process. On the River side of the road, the levee rose and obscured the view of the water. But in time, we came to the Morganza Spillway--you may have heard of this flat, wide area of land. When the City of New Orleans is threatened by flood waters up river the gates are opened, this land is flooded and the area in the Delta is spared the flood. The pictures don't truly give the narrowness of the road across the gateway that we drove. On the driver's side, the huge individual gates that are raised, the oncoming traffic and on my side, so close I swear I could have touched it, a freight train going in the opposite direction. Talk about tight and scary!! Oh, yeah, the roadway is on a very OLD stone bridge--don't know if it is crumbling but would not be surprised. For now the fields are recovering from the last days of deluge but I would not want to live in Morganza with just a levee protecting me from the floods allowed just over them to fill those low lying fields. Soon we passed through New Roads and shortly before us rose the Bridge across the Mississippi to St Francisville. Went to Grandmother's Buttons where we were treated like royalty by not one salesgirl, but two and the store's sales manager. Debbie and Treva but I forget the other girl's name, though she has waited on me many times--will find it when I look at the receipt. I had a list of what I was interested in buying and also had a budget, as I always do. So, I bought nothing I wasn't prepared to buy--still, I was laughing when I left--ohhhhh, look what I've done! LOL Barb, who doesn't get here often went a bit more wild. Headed over to the Audubon Café but we'd spent so much time visiting with the GB girls that we missed lunch--they are only open for breakfast and lunch. So we drove north into Mississippi and Natchez and had dinner at Ruby Tuesday's. Then across the river once more to stay on the Riverfront at one of my favorite hotels. There was a Riverboat tied up at Natchez Under the Hill on the other side--but it was gone by this morning. The GB ladies said there was a Riverboat due tomorrow at St Francisville--bet it was the one. Some day I'm going to cruise this river. There was a light breeze and 65 degrees. We walked along the water for a bit, but I didn't have my camera so couldn't take a picture of the black cat and her adorable baby kittens. Barb wanted to bring one home. LOL It felt like spring --what a lovely evening. Returned to our room to watch the water and the changing evening light. Also to admire our purchases--mine basically pieces to complete sets of which I already have a part. Barb bought a necklace that I've been planning on getting for Christmas, the blue and brown double strand necklace. It is called Ziva and I already have a bracelet that goes with it. Still going to get it--doesn't bother me to have something that someone else has. Just figure their taste is as good as mine--lol Then we noticed the full moon and the haze around it, as well as a sort of second moon. There were moon dogs, too but I couldn't really get a good shot. Also took a couple of shots of barges and tugs going by but this time I didn't do as well as in the past catching them. I was disappointed that the bridges were not illuminated the way they have been in the past. Only the lamps above the road beds and some red lights on a few high points were lit. Usually the whole outline of both bridges are outlined in white lights which are put out after midnight. Perhaps they are saving energy. Woke up around 6 and glanced out the window from my bed as I was turning over. Could not believe the beauty of the sunrise. Just had to get out of bed and take pictures. The window is visible from all parts of the room, including from the bed, even when lying down! It is like a living painting--just so beautiful. #7996 was taken from my bed--gorgeous. I was about to go back to sleep when I became aware of a large dark mass drifting by--barges, 16 of them, two by two, pushed by a single tug. As it got by the window, another across the river, came into view moving in the same direction. I glanced over to the wall and saw that the bridge was reflected in the mirror!!! All had turned silvery opal and Natchez Under the Hill continued to sleep. The Riverboat gone sometime in the night. Then the cute little Bettye M. quietly glided by and I left for breakfast. By 945, we were packed and ready to go--I took a couple of shots of the lobby and poof, we were gone. There is a National Park called the Natchez Trace Parkway. It runs about 445 miles from Natchez to Nashville through the country. The speed limit is 50 and no commercial vehicles are allowed. It runs somewhat northeast through Mississippi, cuts over a corner of Alabama and then continues through Tennessee. We went halfway, to Tupelo, with a stop in French Camp for a delicious BLT and sweet tea. Met a veterinarian who moved here with his wife about 11 years ago from Canajoharie, New York. He was very thrilled to chat with someone from the old area. Nice man. Says he doesn't miss winter. Cold mornings turn into days in the 60's and there are no bugs here. He said the locals shut everything down the day before snow or ice is to arrive and even with big four wheel drive trucks refuse to drive until the snow is gone. LOL There were a couple of strange sights -- a black vehicle with all kinds of flashing lights but no insignia nor an official plate. A car pulled over with a driver slouched down in it but no evidence of any law enforcement official. The door ajar on the black car. Several miles later, again with door ajar, a rangers car with lights flashing--an old blue car pulled over in front of it. All four doors wide open. Not a soul around either car. Oh, well, two of life's mysteries, I guess. In the meantime, by the time we got to Tupelo, we began to see some fall foliage! Green all the way north until then and not much has turned even then. Now, we are headed to Bowling Green tomorrow. Someone says there is a Nor' Easter predicted for the week-end--not a good sign. Let us hope things hold off til we get safely home. What is this nutsy weather all about?? Did someone forget it is Fall?? Well, not going to worry about it--we can only go as fast as we can go. Would hate getting hung up but it has happened before--we'll manage. Until next time, stay safe, warm and happy. BarbZig and KatZag

No comments:

Post a Comment