Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Gallup,Socorro and Alamogordo , New Mexico

Hello ZZ's, When I left you Barb was returned from the hospital and resting I believe. We had been unable to go to Perry Null's much to both of our disappointments. Since Socorro was only a 197 mile jaunt we decided we had plenty of time to go there before leaving Gallup. Arrived almost at opening and Barb went on a shopping spree. I, on the other hand, knew exactly what I was looking for and so asked for Rocky upon arrival. Rocky is the young woman who handles Perry's online sales and eBay sales. I have sat with her in the back room several years in a row asking to see things I've seen on the website and purchasing Christmas gifts for Barb, Betsy and myself. We are old friends as are Karen--she who is off to Morocco --and Angel. I gave Rocky the bracelet I'd knocked a stone out of on one of the first days of the trip getting my suitcase out of the car. Fortunately, I had the stone and she said since that was the case and the bracelet is from Perry's there will no charge for repair. I also had her get me some samples of coral stone to make another string to wrap around my Navajo pearls for yet another look. ( If you look back at my picture with Roger in Ca you'll see the pearls with the turquoise strand wrapped around them.) Then, arranging for both things to be sent when ready, it was off to the pin/pendant case. Karen has worn her pearls with a pin suspended from them--the pin has a shepard's hook and so simply latches over the strand. Well, I couldn't decide among all the beauties but finally chose--actually, picked this one immediately--a Christmas tree, a horned toad and a salamander. I'm wearing the horned toad in the picture in the Bosque with my gray Irish sweater--don't want to imply that it has been very cold the last few days, but it has been. While Barb was still shopping I chatted with Angel and one of the other fellows who remembered looking at our home on Google Earth last winter with Bill. He pulled it up again for the others to see and they are all overwhelmed by the jungle of trees we have in Vt. They think I live in the wilderness--they are amazed that we have deer and bear and foxes etc on our front lawn. It is funny. One of the fellow's daughters is getting ready for College--they looked at the Dartmouth Campus and think it is beautiful but it is far too expensive for them--told them to join the boat. Well,after two hours of socializing and shopping we were off East on I-40 once more. As we passed Grants and Mount Taylor, another of the Native's four corners of their world, we could see its snow covered summit. Also the blown off top that showed it was the ancient source of the lava flows through which we passed once more. Lots of volcanic activity out West. Also, as we passed McCarthy's I found the lovely church that is the same color of the surrounding bluffs--I don't always manage to pick it out. And then, at Laguna, the large white church above the little hamlet. I love that the town before is Casa Blanco but there is no white house THERE that I can see!! Around Acoma the overpasses have greetings and farewells in the Native Language but I know not what they say exactly--so maybe they aren't welcomes at all--lol This is my winter home so at last I know my way around. Took a cutoff across State Road 6 to Los Lunas, bypassing Albuquerque totally and got on I-25 South to Socorro. Went right by Sunrise Bluffs in Belen and the home of Gloria and Bud. They are on their way home from South Padre Island, having cut their vacation short because of rain and cold. But, they would not be home for two more days and we didn't have the time to spare to wait to visit, especially with Barb not 100%.The Manzanitas were a bit hazy and as we entered Socorro we had drizzle with a little snowflake mixed in here and there. Off in the distance was the hazy loaf like mountain with the " M " for Mining that is the landmark of Socorro. There is a Mining and Engineering Tech school here. It is always amazing to us to see bicycles and pedestrians on the Interstates out here. BUT, in fairness, in some places there are absolutely no alternative routes and that is the case in this valley. When we checked in to our motel--the clerk but the no vacancy sign up immediately-- I asked why all the motels were booked up. Apparently there was a big First Responders training session at the College. We brought our stuff into the room and wasted no time heading south through Luis Lopez to San Antonio and thence to the Bosque--about 30 miles away. I love both of these agricultural villages along the almost dry Rio Grande. The little San Jose Church in Luis Lopez and the now fenced off, deserted Church in San Antonio with the rose window that has been missing for several years now. Someday, I'm going to have to spend some time at the Owl and find out the history of these places. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=san+antonio+new+mexico&id=E2F9AC02A7D2D257EAF288B00881A4406354FB83&FORM=IARRTH Here is a link that shows the Church as I first saw it with its rose window in place and how it has deteriorated through the years. I will make another small album of pictures of The Owl and its food in a bit. As we approached the Bosque I got very excited--this is one of the winter habitats of the Sand Hill Crane --they begin to arrive in late October and leave mid-January. I have only seen a few of them on our first trip because Bill won't travel in Fall. On the first trip though we left right after New Years and managed to arrive before they all left. Of course, when we arrive in March they and the Snow Geese are all gone and headed north and only a few Canada geese remain. It doesn't matter a lot though because this place is so beautiful and we always make two visits, one of which is at sunrise, and there are always ducks and deer and all kinds of other wildlife to see. We never spend less than two hours just driving slowly and relaxing. This year, however, the cranes are here and so are the snow geese. There are only a few so far--the fields have been drained to accommodate the thousands that will be here by the time the Crane Festival occurs in November. There is a whole book on the events that take place here and, according to Gloria it is a mob scene of tourists from all over the world who come to see these birds in such great number. The fly-in and the fly-out is apparently quite chaotic with people. This little town must hop! For now, there were a few more people but not many than when we come in March and that is fine. Right at the entrance near the culvert there is always a Great Blue Heron and today was no different--he seemed ready to fly but I spoke quietly to him and he stayed. Does he recognize my voice? Is he the same one? Is he a she? Don't know, don't care--just love that the heron is always there to greet me. For those of you who are interested there are several articles on this page about the cranes--basically, the adults have red crown patches and the immature birds do not.https://www.bing.com/search?q=sandhill+crane&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=&pc=EUPP_ Another creature that we often see in this area is Pepe le Peu and this one did not like my attention and stopped at the edge of the grasses and lifted its tail at me--did not spray but certainly made it clear that I should just move on and let it return to its feeding. I was surprised that much of what is flooded in Feb-Mar for Canada geese and various species of duck is all drained to provide open fields for the tens of thousands of cranes on their way. It is fascinating to see the birds in flight as they constantly change places in the flock and the overall impression is of undulating waves of intertwining motion up and down, over and under and yet so incredibly synchronized. They arrive to land in groups of six or four --breaking off into pairs and landing in totally matching strokes of the wings with one landing first and then the other coming down behind--in the meantime, as they land in pairs the other four are circling waiting for their turn to land as a pair. Over and over again we saw this arrival and landing pattern. We eventually came to a cove in which the snow geese had congregated--they stay in water rather than in the fields. I loved the scene of a line of ducks swimming into the cove, a large bird bouncing around on the shore and the geese bundled up tightly together in the lee of the grasses to stay out of the wind. The next little pond had one lone heron who was hunched into himself as it had begun to rain heavily. Poor baby looked drenched. Then as we watched a pair of immature cranes landed among the ducks on the other side of the water. In comparison to the rest of the birds they looked so huge and ungainly, though they are truly graceful in flight. As we continued along the north loop I noticed a deer in the woods beside me--a young fawn and as we moved a bit farther to the closed road on our right we saw that it was with its mother and a sibling, who continued to the other side. The little one came racing behind to catch up and then they were gone! Next, at the curve in the road we saw a turkey flying to the grasses beneath a tree and lo and behold there was a flock of them--another and then another flew in--but catching birds in flight is something I do with pure luck--they are so fast. Still we stopped and they crossed the road before us--one of them kept moving closer to the car with one eye on us and one on the flock. Even after they were all across and into the woods he lingered moving closer and then away--obviously, the bodyguard. Off on the faraway hills we could see cars and trucks traveling north and south along I 25--looking, again, like little toys. Toward the exit we came to the area that had burned after we returned home last year--a significant destruction of habitat. Af the end we came to the flight deck --this field is always empty or flooded when we are here--today it was filled with the sounds of cranes, particularly one deep voiced fellow who did not seem to like our presence. After several more minutes of standing in the cold wind watching them get ready for night time and watching others arrive we decided to head into San Antonio and the Owl Café for Bacon Cheese Burgers and merlot to warm up. Then it was back in the dark to our lovely suite and TV and sleep. Got up the next morning and decided we had time to revisit the Bosque before heading over the valley and hills to Corrozozo and down the Valley of Fire to Alamogordo. We arrived around 1030 and left about 130. As you can see, each day brings new experiences at the Bosque. My heron was NOT at his normal place and I knew he must be off fishing a different hole this morning. Yesterday, we had bypassed a road that is normally closed in winter so today we headed that way. There was a very strong odor of skunk and it lasted a long distance down the road. I have heard that the javelinas have a strong odor though I've never experienced it and since I knew this is an area where they hang out I wondered if the odor was theirs rather than skunk. Around a bend we came upon a buzzard feeding on some road kill--he was pretty far in the distance but we stopped so as not to disturb him. I thought I discerned tell-tale black and white on the carcass but couldn't be sure. He was agitated by our presence and ate and backed off, turned away from us and then began trying to drag his prize across the road. Soon, another buzzard arrived and the first one walked off across the road. The newcomer looked the body over and then he too walked across the road. Then they came back but flew off together in the opposite direction. As we drove by I took a shot of the odiferous mess--disgusting Barb completely and off we went, figuring they came back for their delicious breakfast once we had departed. A little farther along the road we came to the Heron. Handsome as ever and happy to pose for me. Less skittish today, assuming it is the same bird--lol A little farther along, another who in my eyes looked older and more mature. He graciously struck several different poses to our delight. Of course, he was fishing for breakfast and really, once he saw we were just some more of those strange creatures who make funny clicking sounds and pose no danger, just went on about his business. Looking up the side roads is a must and this morning we were startled by the crossing of one by a female javelina--with two tiny babies the size of puppies--closely followed by the male, whose picture I was fast enough to catch before he, too, was gone in a flash. As we reached the pool of the drenched heron, there he was looking much chipper today. The snow geese were all clustered and had heads tucked in repose. Several cars were there with many of us taking photos. All of a sudden with a rush they were all gone--circling the pool madly and squawking loudly. Have no idea what spooked them--another car had just arrived and people got out--but there were several of us there already. I couldn't see an eagle or hawk or wild cat but who knows--something definitely agitated them AND they definitely seemed to want to return to the water. Barb and I watched for a little while and then decided to at least make the crowd of humans a bit smaller and left the tripods with 6 ft lens toting others in the middle of the road where they'd set up. Ignoring their dirty looks indicating their distain for us and our little $200 point and shoot camera, we departed. Driving along, Barb stopped abruptly and I said what's up--she said, a snake and it is very much alive. So I handed her my camera. Unfortunately, the snake continued on its way and went under the car! Now we were in a quandary--where was he? In front of the tires or behind. We could not move until we knew. The car behind us, passed by in a cloud of dust so no asking him. Finally, Barb decided to step out and look. I hoped he wasn't going to stay under the warm car for long. But then, I saw him coming out on my side. We waited until he was clear and then went on our merry way, just as he did, vigorously sniffing with his tongue all the way into the woods. LOL Just beautiful. ( After we finished our tour we stopped at the visitors' center to ask what he was--used several reference books and couldn't find him. Then one of the administrators came out of the office. The volunteer introduced her as their favorite ranger--which she said she was not, that she was an administrator--lol BUT, she said, I know someone who knows what that snake is and she returned to the office bringing a very handsome ranger type fellow behind her who took one look at my picture and said "It's a common king snake." He got the page and when he saw I was interested enough to read the info, he added that it is a favorite among snake collectors because it is docile and has a pleasant personality. It is also rare in the refuge!!! Though it does range from Los Lunas south. Wow, a real discovery!!) http://www.nmherpsociety.org/reptiles/snakes/lampropeltisgetulasplendida/image04.html and http://www.nmherpsociety.org/reptiles/snakes/lampropeltisgetulasplendida/index.html We returned to the flight deck for one last look at the cranes. I am wearing my heavy Irish sweater because it was cold though warmer than the day before.I am also wearing the horned toad pin from Perry Null. Out behind us you can see the field of cranes in the distance. At the entrance/exit were three deer. We thought they would cross the road, but two more were off to the right and the last deer ran off to join them--they had stopped and were looking at us. Eventually, the other two loped off to the grasses at the right and once more wild creatures, five of them, disappeared from sight and it was as though they had never been there. And so, after a chat at the visitors' center we were on the road once more--heading east past Trinity site to Carrizozo. But first, I sang, I hear a train acomin' and Barb sang, it's comin' round the bend--and there it was right on the edge of San Antonio. We covered 75 miles of emptiness of sand hills and plains to the mountain ridge that leads to Santa Rosa or Lincoln depending how you go, but we, after touring 12th St, turned south through Tularosa to Alamogordo. Down the Valley of Fire to where the lava flows reach the White Sands. https://www.carrizozochamber.org/historic-12th-street First stop--Eagle Ranch--a NEW Heart of the Desert sign--put up in May and, according to the salesgirl, excitedly, the heart lights up at night. Prettier than the big pistachio at McGinn's next door--lol Picked up some nuts to send Betsy, some cookies and a couple of stocking stuffers. Bill and I still have some nuts left from winter. Then it was on to Lowe's to replenish our food and drink supply and then to the motel. I said I was doing NOTHING but eat and read and sleep until today. We are spending a second night here. It is 2 and I'm not dressed yet. It is pouring outside and I had to map out our trip through Texas to St Francisville and Natchez and the Trace to Nashville. Also had to do the blog and pix, make a reservation in Roswell tomorrow night and will soon figure out finances. Then shower and wash my hair, dress and eventually go to Johnny Carino's for dinner. Had texted Bets last night to see if she wanted any refills for her Alamogordo groceries but she said she was fine--the nuts and baby lentils I picked up for her would be good until March. Sooo, ZZ's the story is caught up yet again.I'll send a small album of misc pix in a few minutes. Oh, yes, I forgot, San Antonio is the site of the first hotel ever established by Conrad Hilton. He grew up here and used to rent rooms in his parents' house to people passing through. Eventually, he built a small hotel which burned down but the mahogany bar was rescued and is now in the Owl Café where Barb and I sat the other night and ate our burgers. The Owl calls them the greatest in the world---I don't know about that but it is mighty good and I'd go out of my way for it. Up the road the Buckhorn says it is rated #7 in the country for its burgers--I think by the Food Network. Well, what would you choose--#7 or the greatest?? I cannot count how many greatest, best, world famous burgers I've eaten in how many world famous restaurants, cafes and bars but oh, well, they are famous to me--lol Off I go, we are having an incredible thunder storm right now. Later, BarbZig and KatZag gallup,Socorro

No comments:

Post a Comment