Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Dark Tribute--Eve Duncan #23--But I Haven't Read the Earlier Books

Dark Tribute (Eve Duncan, #24)Dark Tribute by Iris Johansen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

In fairness to the author this is the 24th bookin the Eve Duncan series and I have not read any of the others. Also, in fairness to her, this is a review of an ARC, provided by Goodreads for review. Both of these probably are responsible for the 2 star rating on this Eve Duncan adventure. In actuality, Eve Duncan did not play a very large part in the story but her son, Michael and her daughter, Cara were the two main characters--other than Cara's grandfather and the villain of the piece, an insane old adversary of his, Svardak.
well as her relationships with Eve and her family and a former killer, I guess, Jock were all unfamiliar to me. It was therefore difficult to get into the present interactions with any understanding. Nevertheless, I found Cara to be rather irritating, her romantic involvement with Jock improbable and lack of understanding of Kaskov immature. As to Michael, precocious ten year olds have never been intriguing or cute or intelligent to me.

The basic plot could have been interesting if this were a stand alone book and if it had not been so repetitive and padded with unnecessary rehashing of --you can't be here, protect her, she broke the connection or he did, music is the only reason to be involved, etc, etc, etc.

Stuck it out to the bitter end, which was perhaps the most exciting part of the whole book. Heard of this author but not sure if this book makes me want to go back to the beginning of the series and start it. Other books have hooked me mid series, but this one has not.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment