Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Saturday, January 5, 2019

Death in St Petersburg--Not Her Best, But Still a Good, Fast, Enjoyable Read

Death in St. Petersburg: A Lady Emily MysteryDeath in St. Petersburg: A Lady Emily Mystery by Tasha Alexander
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Perhaps ,after 12 cases with Lady Emily and Colin Hargreaves, it is becoming too easy to solve the cases. Within the first several chapters I knew who the murderer was, though the motive eluded me until the very end. The red herring of the mysterious ballerina with red scarf never confused me, though it took several more chapters before I knew who she was and what her purpose or at least affiliation was. So, though the mystery was, for me, solved very early on, it was still an interesting book to devour in one day.

Alexander's ability to describe the time and place so completely that fully formed pictures emerge in my imagination and the wonderful detail of the clothes worn by her characters, as well as the fully developed personalities of them, keeps me reading her books even when her plot is so obvious. One cannot help but enjoy the relationship between the principals. That aside, Cecile is a hoot and Sebastian is such a rogue it is easy to see why, despite his irritating ways, Emily can't stay angry at him and Colin can't tolerate him.

I cannot wait to see what adventures await them when Victoria, on her death bed, gives Colin one last assignment and that obese, lothario of a son ascends the throne.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment