Welcome to the

Random words, pictures and thoughts of one who always wishes to be on the mind's road to discovery!

About Me

My photo
Connecticut River Valley, New England, United States

Friday, February 23, 2024

Review: The Black Book

The Black Book (Inspector Rebus, #5)The Black Book by Ian Rankin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Loved John Hannah in the series, did not like Stott, his replacement because he was too old for my mental image of Rebus and am looking forward to the new series, though this guy seems too young.

If ever I go to Edinburgh I will forever be thinking of all the nefarious underworld goings on and never feel safe in any pub or restaurant. The place is teeming with horrible people who speak in a dialect I'll never understand. As a matter of fact, Hannah gave me problems in the program--thank goodness for cc or I'd be truly lost. And truly lost is what Ian Rankin keeps his readers. Rebus is constantly running all over town and environs and never seems to get enough pieces to any puzzle he's trying to solve. What he does learn at any turn makes me feel as though I'm doing a jigsaw but it isn't the one this bit belongs to and I hate jigsaw puzzles! But, the characters and places are so intriguing and Rebus, himself so Columbo-like, that I keep subjecting myself to this torture.

In the end, the result is always satisfactory but I feel so exhausted I swear i'm not going to read the next one, until I do. Sigh

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment